How Do I Become Certified?
The first step is to complete a Paratransit application. This must be completed in person at the Rockford Paratransit office at 520 Mulberry Street. If you cannot get to our facility you can call us at 815.961.2255 and we will gladly set up a complimentary ride for you to come and complete the application. For persons with hearing impairments, RMTD encourages the use of Illinois Relay Works. to use this service, simply dial 711 or 1-800-526-0844 and work with the Communications Assistant to complete the call to Rockford Paratransit. For your convenience you can download the application here.
Applicants will be reviewed within 21 days of receipt. Once reviewed, Rockford Para-transit will notify applicant in writing of determination of eligibility. If, Rockford Paratransit has not made a determination of eligibility with 21 days following the submission of a completed application, the applicant shall be treated as eligible and will be provided service. If Rockford ParaTransit denies the application, the individual shall be given the opportunity to file an appeal.
To ride ParaTransit, you must be certified as eligible by Rockford ParaTransit. Examples of people who are eligible are those who, because of a disability, are “unable” to:
- board, ride or disembark from an accessible bus
- persons unable to use the system due to visual or mental impairments
- persons unable to reach boarding locations or situations due to a specific impairment related condition
Other considerations are:
- age, distance to stop, or illiteracy by themselves are not considered disabilities.
- people who are blind and visually-impaired may be eligible if they cannot use RMTD’s regular fixed route system people with medical conditions such as epilepsy, kidney disorders, diabetes may be eligible depending on their ability to use RMTD’s regular fixed route system.
Provisional ParaTransit Eligibility
Any person can apply for and may be granted provisional paratransit eligibility for paratransit services if they can provide a physician’s certificate demonstrating that they have a hypersensitivity to extreme weather conditions or that extreme weather adversely affects or limits their mobility.
Temporary ParaTransit Eligibility
The following individuals are ADA temporary ParaTransit eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- Any person can apply for and be granted temporary ParaTransit eligibility, if they meet the full ParaTransit eligibility criteria as listed above and are determined temporary ParaTransit Eligible by Rockford ParaTransit.